When arranging a charcuterie platter, it is important to consider the variety of textures, accompaniments and, of course, the wine.
If you want to surprise your guests with a charcuterie platter, you have to offer different types of flavors, cuts and aromas. For example, you can include different kinds of pate, salami, hams, rillets, farces and foie gras. All these elements allow guests to experience new sensations in every bite.
The way you cut the charcuterie is crucial. It must be a very thin cut for it to “dissolve” in the mouth, as long as the level of fat, either in the form of cubes or mixed, is very low. Otherwise, if the pieces of fat are bigger -for example, Mortadella di Bologna- it is advisable to cut it into cubes, as this will allow to better taste the product.
Francisco Abadal, expert in fresh and gourmet produce at restaurant Coquinaria, provides these 5 tips to make a perfect charcuterie platter at home:
- Variety: A minimum of 3 different cuts. Cured meats such as prosciutto, Coppa, Speck, Iberian ham and Wagyu ham are some options, along with salami (chorizo, Sauccison Sec, Finocchiona), and cooked sausages (like mortadella).
- Use of Farce: Pate, Mousse, Rillets, Foie gras. It is not mandatory to include them, but they make any platter an exceptional one.
- Some pickled foods: The acidity of these elements helps clean the mouth between bites and reduces the impact of fat on the palate: pickles, pickled onions, olives and mushrooms are excellent complements.
- Spreads: Sweet and sour fruit jams and marmalades (apricot, cherry) complements cured meats. Mustard and maple syrup help enhance the flavor by reducing the effect of fat.
- Crackers or just bread, as white as possible, since the flavors in the platter are already complex.
Were these tips helpful? Share your experience in the comments, and if you have questions, do not hesitate to contact us. Cheers!
Francisco Abadal is part of the group of experts that conduct different tastings at Coquinaria restaurant. The “Coquicatas” are aimed at an audience that wants to learn more about food and enjoy a delicious meal.
They cost is CLP $22,000, and that includes a giftcard for CLP $5,000 which can be used in the restaurant or in the emporium, where you will find a wide range of gourmet products. To register, you must send an email to email@example.com. Highly recommended!