Concha y Toro

Concha y Toro 16/06/2014

6 Initiatives of Concha y Toro for measuring and reducing its carbon footprint


The UN has defined January 28 as the Global Day for CO2 Emissions Reduction in order to create conscientiousness and awareness of climate change and its environmental impacts. Viña Concha y Toro has incorporated into its sustainability strategy the measurement and reduction of its carbon footprint through different initiatives.

  1. The results of the carbon footprint for 2012, measured since 2007, declined by 28% from the previous year as a result of the application of the “Suppliers, Sustainability and Carbon Footprint” program. The most significant reduction is in indirect emissions, generated by the production of supplies and transportation of our products to international markets. In this case, the most important factor was the use of glass which fell to less than a half of that in the previous year.
  2. Light bottles: During 2010-2012, the company managed to reduce its emissions by 20,417 tons of CO2 through the use of light bottles. Of this, 84% corresponded to reduced glass consumption and the other 16% to reduced transportation-related emissions.
  3. Consumption of refrigerant gases, mainly related to escaping emissions from the refrigeration systems, has fallen by 42.7%, while CO2 emissions show a reduction of 40.9%. This is due to the introduction of new technologies over the last decade, which has permitted the systematic reduction of refrigerant leaks.
  4. Renewable energies: More than 30 thermo-solar panels have so far been installed at the company’s estates, cellars and plants, which has meant a reduction in the use of fossil fuels for heating water in the different industrial processes of Viña Concha y Toro.
  5. “Measurement of CO2 stocks in the vineyards and forests of Concha y Toro”: In order to measure the positive effects generated by its business, Viña Concha y Toro has carried out a pioneering study together with the Global Change Center of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, to detect the stock of carbon contained in its vineyards and native forests. This work, carried out between April and October 2013, showed that the winery has over 367 thousand tons of CO2 in stock, 56% more than the emissions generated by the company during 2012.
  6. Collaboration agreement with CONAF: Due to the importance of the information obtained in the “Measurement of CO2 stocks in the vineyards and forests of Concha y Toro” study, the company has signed a collaboration agreement with the Ministry of Agriculture and Corporación Nacional Forestal (Conaf) (the national forestry commission). This agreement (and the use of the data) will enable the government to support initiatives so that many rural property owners can generate carbon credits to be traded in domestic and international markets.