Descorchados is a wine guide that shows the complete panorama of the Chilean wine industry. Author Patricio Tapia is Chile’s most important wine writer and has vast experience in Chilean and international media, including the US magazine Wine & Spirits, in which he critiques wines from Chile, Argentina, and Spain.
A total of 1,400 wines from 170 Chilean wineries were tasted for the 2014 edition of Descorchados.
The Big Winners
By winemaker Ignacio Recabarren received 96 points and was crowned the Best Carmenere from Chile for the seventh time in the Descorchados guide’s 13-year history. This wine from the Peumo vineyard in the Cachapoal Valley has always appeared among the Top 3 since the guide began.
2010 Marques de Casa Concha Limited Edition Cabernet Sauvignon. 96 pts.
By winemaker Marcelo Papa also received 96 points and was named the Best Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile. Just 1,800 bottles of this limited edition wine from Puente Alto in the Maipo Valley were made and vini¬ed according to the 1970s style.
Icons Wine Results
Don Melchor 2010. 95 pts.
Concha y Toro’s icon Cabernet Sauvignon, made by winemaker Enrique Tirado, earned 95 points and was included on the list of Best Cabernet Sauvignon, Best Wines from the Maipo Valley, and Best Red Wines from Chile. This is the 24th vintage of Don Melchor and an outstanding example of the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon produced in the Puente Alto vineyard located at the foot of the Andes Mountains in the Alto Maipo Valley, which is internationally recognized as one of the best terroirs in the world.
Carmín de Peumo, also by Ignacio Recabarren, achieved 96 points and placed among the Best Carmenere, Best Wines from Cachapoal, and Best Reds from Chile. From the Peumo vineyard, the best Chilean origin for producing this variety, Carmín has been named the Best Carmenere from Chile on 5 occasions.
The 2010 Gravas del Maipo earned 94 points, placing it among the Best Syrahs and the Best Wines from Maipo. Made by Enrique Tirado, this Syrah began as a tribute to the gravel in the Andes Mountains. The premier vintage of this Syrah (2007) was named the Best Syrah from Chile in the 2011 Descorchados Wine Guide.
The 2012 Amelia Chardonnay by Ignacio Recabarren received 93 points and was included among the Best Chardonnay and Best Wines from Casablanca.
Scores and Awards for the Terrunyo Line
- Terrunyo Carmenere 2011 | 96 pts. Best Chilean Carmenere.
- Terrunyo Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 | 95 pts. One of the Best Cabernet Sauvignon, Best Wines from Maipo and Best Reds from Chile.
- Terrunyo Syrah 2012 | 94 pts. One of the Best Syrah and Best Wines from Casablanca.
- Terrunyo Sauvignon Blanc 2012 | 93 pts. Best Wines from Casablanca.
- Terrunyo Riesling 2012 | 92 pts. Best Other Variety White.
Scores and Awards for the Marques de Casa Concha Line
- Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 Limited Edition | 96 pts. Best Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile.
- Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 | 93 pts.
- Sauvignon Blanc 2013 | 93 pts. One of the Best Wines from San Antonio.
- Chardonnay 2012 | 92 pts. One of the Best Chardonnay.
- Carmenere 2011 | 90 pts.
Scores and awards for Gran Reserva Serie Riberas
2013 Gran Reserva Serie Riberas Sauvignon Blanc Made by Mario Miranda, earned 92 points.