Ingredients (6 servings)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the sautéed mushrooms
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 T minced shallots
- 400 gr mixed mushrooms (white, portobello, shiitake), clean and sliced
- 50 g pancetta, diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T minced parsley
For the blue cheese and white wine sauce
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy ceam
- 50 gr Roquefort or other blue cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T minced chives
- In a saucepan heat the chicken broth, wine and cream over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Add the roquefort cheese. Stir until melted and season to taste with pepper and add chives.
- For serving: place two polenta squares in each plate, arrange the sauteed mushrooms on top and spoon the roquefort sauce around and on top. Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Place the medallions in a deep plate, brush with the olive oil and coat on both sides with the pepper mix. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate for 1 hour.
- Prepare the Carmenere-shallot sauce. In a saucepan heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat, add the shallots, rosemary and honey and saute, stirring, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the carmenere wine and port and simmer until reduced by half. Add the broth and reduce agian by half. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Before serving, reheat the sauce and stir in the remaining butter and parsley.
- Grill or pan-fry the medallions until the desired doneness and serve at once topped with a fried quail egg. Spoon the carmenere and shallot sauce around. Serve with a pea purée and buttered peas.