The US magazine and most prestigious publication for the global luxury market, the Robb Report, released the list of the best wines in the world, including Don Melchor leading the category of “Chilean wines,” making it the only Chilean wine on the list.
Every year, the international “Best of the Best” ranking by Robb Report, selects the leading experiences and products in luxury, heritage, and excellence at the global level. This year, in its 35th edition, it published “The 17 Best Wines of the Year,” where Don Melchor was named Best of the Best: Chilean wines.
In this edition, Don Melchor 2020 became the only Chilean wine on the list, positioned among great leaders of the global wine industry. The list includes the following icons each in categories of their own:
- Rosé Champagne: Taittinger 2009 Comtes de Champagne Rosé
- Aromatic Wine: Trimbach 2016 Clos Ste Hune Rosacker Grand Cru Riesling (Alsace, France)
- Sweet Wine: Château d’Yquem 2020 (Sauternes, France)
- Champagne: Champagne Krug 2008
- Rosé Wine: Muse de Miraval 2021 (Provence, France)
- Bordeaux and Wine of the Year: Château Petrus 2017 Pomerol (Bordeaux, France)
- Red Burgundy: Domaine des Perdrix 2019 Echézeaux Grand Cru
- White Burgundy: Etienne Sauzet 2020 Montrachet Grand Cru
- Italian Wine: Biondi-Santi 2016 Riserva Brunello di Montalcino (DOCG)
- Spanish Wine: Vega Sicilia 2013 Unico (Ribera del Duero)
- English Sparkling Wine: Hattingley Valley 2014 Kings Cuvée (Hampshire)
- American Cabernet Sauvignon: Vérité La Joie 2019 (Sonoma County, Calif.)
- American Pinot Noir: Clarice Wine Company 2021 Gary’s Vineyard Pinot Noir (Santa Lucia Highlands, Calif.)
- Chilean Wine: Don Melchor 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon Puente Alto (Maipo Valley)
- Australian Wine: Henschke 2017 Hill of Grace (Eden Valley)
- New Zealand Wine: Craggy Range 2020 Aroha (Te Muna Road, Martinborough)
- Argentine Wine: Catena Zapata 2019 Adrianna Vineyard Fortuna Terrae (Mendoza)
Don Melchor stands out as a wine “made with grapes grown on vines propagated from Cabernet Sauvignon cuttings brought to Chile from Bordeaux in the 1880s. Blended with small amounts of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Petit Verdot from the same site, it was aged in barrel for 15 months.”
“Under the skilled hand of winemaker Enrique Tirado, the result is a deep-violet-red-colored wine with a bouquet of raspberry, black cherry (…) that shows through in flavors of blackberry, Mission fig, licorice, dark chocolate, and rose petal wrapped in polished tannins, while cool nights contributed to striking acidity and an elegant finish,” reads the publication.
Regarding this extraordinary achievement, Enrique Tirado, CEO and Technical Director for Viña Don Melchor comments: “We are honored that Don Melchor 2020 has been recognized as ‘Best of the Best’ within the 17 categories selected and as the only Chilean wine on the list. Don Melchor’s quality as an ambassador for Chile’s icon wines is indisputable, and its track record unmatched, achieving the highest accolades in its 35-year history.”
“Being part of this prestigious list inspires us to continue our tireless pursuit of delivering excellence in every harvest alongside our team. We aim to craft wines that truly showcase the unique character of our renowned terroir located in the acclaimed Puente Alto Designation of Origin,” adds Tirado.
This recognition solidifies Don Melchor’s reputation as a global standard for excellence in the luxury sector. It highlights the winery’s unwavering commitment to crafting world-class wines and helps consolidate Chile as a leading country in the production of the world-class wines.